Search

What's the Best Disinfectant for Schools?



"You Can't Buy Health"


There are hundreds of disinfectants on the market. While many of those on the EPA's List N for COVID-19 are approved for use against the SARS-CoV-2 virus, there is no indication that these products are safe concerning human health.


Many of the products on List N contain QUATS (quaternary ammonium compounds), bleach or a byproduct of chlorine, peroxide, alcohol, acids, etc., which can all be dangerous to humans, particularly to children, however the same consideration should apply to all people, should it not?


The EPA states in its Green Cleaning, Sanitizing and Disinfecting Guide, "A Curriculum for Early Care and Education," that "Children are more sensitive to the health effects of toxic chemicals." Researchers estimate that 5% of childhood cancer and 30% of childhood asthma are related to chemical exposures.


Many of these exposures are occurring in schools where dangerous chemical-based products are used to clean and disinfect.


The accelerated pace at which these toxic chemicals are now being used, plus the fact that schools and every other venue or business will be disinfecting for many years into the future, is causing unprecedented levels of exposure with unknown consequences to human health. This holds especially true for children.


One study from the University of Bergen in Norway (20 years, 6,000+ people) showed regular use of spray cleaners and disinfectants are as harmful to the lungs as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day for 20 years. Alarming statistics!


The challenge is how to disinfect schools, surfaces or rooms, without harming the very people we want to keep safe? Most of the products used in schools and other facilities across the country carry a warning from the CDC stating that products should not be used around children, yet many of the professional janitorial supplies used in schools contain extra-strength formulas that are filled with toxic chemicals.


The CDC, WHO and the American Lung Association are all on the same page about these products. They agree that cleaners and disinfectants are complicit in birth defects, and may also contribute to ADHD, autism, asthma, allergies, respiratory disease, and even cancer.


The National Institute of Health says that "children are uniquely at risk for experiencing negative health outcomes related to environmental exposures, due to a combination of behavioral and physiological characteristics." Further studies by health agencies have indicated that teachers and custodians are more likely to develop issues associated with chemicals than people in other industries, often years after exposure has occurred.


Dwell time is crucial to disinfecting. Many chemical disinfectants require that a surface be kept wet for 3, 5 or even 10 minutes. A surface would have to be pretty wet to stay that way for 10 minutes or need to be rewet. That alone costs money and wastes time. In addition, many of these chemicals have little or no residual kill time and some cause surface corrosion or damage, over time.


Some things may sound good, like making your own chemicals on-site, or adding UV lights or fans to every room. The truth is, no matter what you do, surfaces that people touch, cough and sneeze on need to be cleaned and disinfected with a liquid solution.


These solutions come with their own costs, such as buying and installing equipment, maintenance, upkeep, refills, filters, parts and labor costs. This equipment lasts only so long, as in a year or two. Mixed or generated chemicals typi9cally must be made fresh every day or more often, plus their potency rapidly declines as soon as the solution is made or exposed to air. Some of these solutions last only 15-30 minutes, others may last up to 4 hours or moreWith Little to No Residual Kill Time.


Xtreme Treatment Compound is made with non-toxic and non-hazardous ingredients. Xtreme kills and inactivates 99.99% of germs, bacteria and viruses in just 30 seconds, keeps killing for 4 days, does not leave a residue and does not emit fumes or VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds). VOCs are emitted as gases from certain solids or liquids and include a variety of chemicals, some of which may have short and long-term adverse health effects. There are also no harmful artificial fragrances in Xtreme and people with allergies report no adverse effects. Xtreme is a Powerful Concentrate that is mixed with water. This is very helpful for schools and other facilities that are often on a tight budget. You only have to order what you need, when you need it. Xtreme also kills mold, mildew, odors, algae, and can be easily used by any teacher, employee, student helper or existing custodial staff, eliminating the need to pay outside vendors, purchase multiple chemicals (glass cleaners, floor cleaners, bathroom cleaners, etc.). No hazmat suits are needed and there is Zero Reentry Time (No Down Time).


Are we all living in challenging times? Yes! The pandemic has shown everyone the importance of disinfecting, and has created billions of germaphobes. But as was mentioned earlier, it is important that we prevent diseases illnesses without harming the health of those that we are trying to protect. Xtreme allows every school to provide teachers, students, parents and faculty, peace of mind and cost effective sustainable solutions around ensuring a clean, healthy and safe environment – every day and for every person.


Our goal at Xtreme Prevention is to help you open, remain open every day, protect everyone on campus from illness and toxic chemicals, and help your school district (City & County), save time, money and the planet in the process.


*** Important Update ***


The CDC recently performed a surprise inspection on a school that utilizes Xtreme. After numerous tests were analyzed, the CDC was so impressed with Xtreme's performance that they will soon be recommending Xtreme.



1.866.755.2321

Recent Posts

See All